Re: Phife’s breakdown, it made me emotional to think about some dudes not even out of their teens going on to have such a huge impact on music and on so many lives, like mine.
In the pantheon of popular music, it’s common for groups to reach amazing heights then develop so much internal rancor that they could come to blows, yet still have love for each other, or at least be able to still work together. As messy as the inside view of them must be based on reviews I’ve read, it’s nothing we haven’t seen before. Check Fleetwood Mac for a serious beef/longevity cycle.
I can also understand Tip as the tortured artist, as cliché as that sounds. It’s easy to develop a myopic view of how you’re perceived when you live in your head all the time, and it’s a weird place that great art springs out of as a side effect. I bet for all he’s accomplished, he might have a loud little hater that won’t shut up, like so many of us creatives.
Ultimately though… Phife’s mom. Can’t beat that wisdom.
The world loves these guys and they worked hard for it. I wish they’d smell their flowers while they still can. I bet Phife’s flirtation with death influences his perspective.
- rustyredenbacher reblogged this from djlimelight
- djlimelight reblogged this from rhomeporium
- nic-mclean reblogged this from rhomeporium
- whatijustread reblogged this from greydotmatters
- roropcoldchain likes this
- rawlikefunfetti reblogged this from greydotmatters and added:
- greydotmatters reblogged this from rhomeporium and added:
- greydotmatters likes this
- positivespace likes this
- naturalelement reblogged this from rhomeporium
- tigressroar reblogged this from rhomeporium
- rhomeporium posted this